Sunday, July 17, 2005

Fair Winds


Twenty or so years ago 19 year old Tania Abei's father told her she had two choices. Either go to school or try to obtain the world record of being the youngest and first female to sail around the world solo. She chose sailing. Now no one said her father was smart as Tania did not have enough knowledge to attempt such a trip but luck was on her side and she made it. She actually didn't get the world record for going solo as she picked up a 'hitchhiker' on one short leg of the trip. Regardless, she had a great adventure and eventually wrote a book about her travels. It was that book that turned me onto sailing. Ever since I have read everything sailing oriented I could get my hands on. Two years after reading Abei's book I finally own my first sailboat! It is a 1977, 26' Chrysler named 'Tiller Time II'. Which, by the way, is a very STUPID name. So she will become 'Wonderlust'. Its actually supposed to be bad luck to rename a boat tho George, the man who sold us the boat, said there are ways to keep that cat from crossing our path. We have spent all weekend teaching ourselves to sail. We have done fairly well, no mishaps. We can actually get the boat to go where we want, albeit slowly. It sleeps 6 and we have been making our lists of how to prepare the boat for future trips. Guess for the rest of the summer if you need me look me up at Cove Ridge!

No comments: